What is the meaning of “quality?”
Like many companies, we at The Electrode Store try to hold ourselves to high standards. We strive for excellence in our products and service, and we want satisfied customers. But what does “Quality” really mean? There are many definitions of the word Quality.
One of my favorite descriptions is by Webster Dictionary: Quality = “degree of excellence.” It is simple and straight to the point.
The American Society for Quality defines “Quality” as:
- The characteristics of a product or service that bear on its ability to satisfy stated or implied needs;
- A product or service free of deficiencies.
Wikipedia has several descriptions as well, including five aspects of quality in a business context:
- Producing – providing something.
- Checking – confirming that something has been done correctly.
- Quality Control – controlling a process to ensure that the outcomes are predictable.
- Quality Management – directing an organization so that it optimizes its performance through analysis and improvement.
- Quality Assurance – obtaining confidence that a product or service will be satisfactory.
We try to adequately ensure quality in all five of those aspects above in our quality management system. In fact, as an ISO 13485-certified medical device manufacturer, we are expected to have a rigorous quality management system as well as an official “quality policy.” Ours is:
The Electrode Store is committed to designing, manufacturing, and distributing the highest quality neuromuscular electrodiagnostic electrodes and accessories. Our goals are to exceed the needs and expectations of our customers, to continually improve, and to grow, while adhering to our core values of integrity & honesty, quality in our products and processes, communication, respect and dignity, technology in our products and processes/systems, good customer service, and long-term relationships.
So, as we start the year 2016, we make it our resolution to live up to our stated quality policy, and we wish all of our customers, suppliers and other friends and acquaintances all the best in 2016!